Sunday, January 19, 2014

Carlsbad Marathon

Today started really early...4:30AM, which is early for these old folks.  After 4 months of running, Doug was ready for his race.


After a cup of lifeblood we were ready to get on the road and drive to the start of the race.


The familiar 'thunk, thunk, thunk of closing porta potty doors told us we were in the right place.  I was amazed at how many there were for the number of runners.  There were no lines.  I learned later that the reason there were so many was because there were 8000 people running the half marathon. Very soon there would be lines...long lines.


Time to get ready... the temperature was perfect.  It was in the low 50's at 6AM.


The start buzzer is just about to sound.


The half marathon started 1-1/2 hours after the marathon start.  At the last minute I had a chance to run the half so I took it, and my phone to take pictures.  Here are some photos of a half marathon from the runner's perspective.

One of many water stations.  Thankfully these volunteers put in a long day.  They are always cheerful and supportive of all of the runners as they pass out the cups of water.


They also clean up after the runners.  There was Shot Gel in two places in this race, at about the 5 mile and about the 10 mile.  I've never had this brand.  It was tasty.


There were bands along the trail.


This house had some rock and roll music playing and cheerleader too.  We saw this two times in the out and back run.


These guys had a table full of cups of beer at the 12/25 mile post.  I had to have one to celebrate 12 miles of running.  It's so nice to know that you only have one mile left to run.  I bet the marathon runners felt much happier to see these guys than I did.



Before I'd finished my cup of beer, I walked by this nice couple who had a table full of shots of tequila.  Of course I had to have one of those too.  Beer to carbo load and tequila to take away the muscle pain.


I guess it's time to run....


Ahhhh.....the finish.  I know that Doug was already across the finish line because Julie texted me.  I sure hope he isn't worried that I'm not at the line waiting for him.  He didn't know I ran the half.  It was an unexpected opportunity.


Of course he wasn't worried...we were both very happy to be done and ready to go watch the playoff games.  Go Hawks!!!



3 comments:

  1. Great story and great pictures! I love the stops to have a drink - lol!! Go Seahawks, what a game! Superbowl in 2 weeks... Keep having fun! I am going to try to call you soon! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was a perfect day, punctuated by the Seahawks win. See you soon.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you guys had a great time - such fun!! Miss you! Please give me a call or text when you get home! Love you and miss you! Shari

    ReplyDelete