Monday, September 15, 2014

Mooseburger Pie

In honor of the first day of moose hunting season in our region of Alaska, I am posting a yummy dinner recipe made with mooseburger. 

Ingredients
1-1/2 pounds ground moose or any other meat you choose
1 can Rotel 
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 can black beans
1 cup small red, yellow and orange peppers, chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 tsp ground cumin
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, beaten

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Mix the burger, bread crumbs and Rotel together in a bowl.  Press into a pie pan like a crust.  

Top with a mixture of beans, peppers and cheese and cumin.  (You can add whatever veggies and cheese you like to the top of this meat crust.)   

Mix together the cornmeal, flour sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.  In another bowl, mix together cup milk, vegetable oil and the egg.  Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing until the dry ingredients are just moist.  Spread the cornbread mixture over the top of the pie.  Bake for 1 hour.  

Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream on top.


11 comments:

  1. I'll have to send this to my brother, Kathi! Maybe he will have some luck this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he has luck....I hope my husband does too.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting sounding. Can I get moose in Upstate NY??!! My brother lives in Alaska. He'll have to send me some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use any burger...where does your brother live?

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious, Kathi! We don't get much moose meat around here but I have a freezer full of elk burger and a husband and son both with cow tags this month. I think I will try your recipe out on elk burger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love elk. There is only one island in Southeast Alaska where you can get Elk. They were 'planted' there. A few hunting tags are drawn every year, but we have yet to get one. Good luck to your husband and son!

      Delete
  4. This looks so amazing! Yum! Pinned. Thank you for being a part of our party. I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm. We love partying with you! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so want to be you! To live in Alaska...oh well, maybe one day:) I would use ground turkey or venison but I bet it would still be delicious. I love these types of recipes! Thanks for sharing with us at the Teach Me Tuesday Linky Party:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Adrian! Alaska is a great place to live. I think this recipe would be great with any ground meat. It's easy, or I wouldn't make it;-)

      Delete